Saturday, August 6, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARACK OBAMA

This week our president Barack Obama turned fifty.  The same day the New York Stock Exchange crashed.  Some birthday present!  Not only did he have to deal with the emotional ramifications of entering another decade he had to deal with  another world crisis!  I am turning sixty at the end of this month and when I was wishing I could go back in time my friend said "The best time is now."  Yesterday is history,  tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.  That's why we call it the "Present!"  Sometimes when I hold my granddaughter I want my kids to be little again.  Sometimes I want to be that person in college who  just had dreams.  But that is all history and today is my gift.  So even as the stock market crashes and the news is so scary "the best time is now".  To prepare for my new decade I am setting new goals having new dreams and enjoying the best time ever!

For all of you with August birthdays enjoy your "present",  and to prepare for your fun KITCHEN ART has lots of party ideas. This month my blog will teach you party activities---from hats to games to music to snacks to FUN FUN FUN!

HATS---HATS---HATS

Party themes are all the rage.  Using paper plates both children and adults can transform the party.  A Mad Hatter party or an English tea party or anything you can imagine!

BASIC HATS:

INGREDIENTS:  Two 9" white paper plates, ribbon

TOOLS:  scissors, stapler, hole punch

INSTRUCTION:  1.  Using your scissors make one straight cut into the center of one paper plate.  Overlap the two sections until they form a curved peak.  Staple in place.  This is the top half of your hat.  2.  Take the second plate and cut out the center;  thus creating a three inch doughnut shaped ring (usually you can follow the imprinted line).  This section is the bottom of your hat.  3.  Evenly place the curved peak onto the doughnut ring.  Staple in place.  4.  Punch two holes on either side of the rim.  Attach ribbons to tie under your chin.  Your Basic Hat is complete.

ADDITIONAL IDEAS:  Decorate with food coloring, sponge stamps and tin foil flowers,  OR use smaller paper plates to make hats for stuffed animals or dolls.


HUMMING KAZOOS:

Need to liven up your party?  This instrument is simple to make and perfect for young children.  My one-year-old granddaughter hums her kazoo better than I do!

INGREDIENTS:  once recycled toilet paper tube, 4" by 4" square of waxed paper, rubber band

TOOLS:  scissors, hole punch, ruler

INSTRUCTION:   1.  Punch a hole about one inch from one end.  2.  Place waxed paper over this end and secure with rubber band.  TIP:  Do not cover hole.  3.  Put lips against open end.  Hum a song!

ADDITIONAL IDEAS:  Decorate kazoo with tin foil.  Experiment with songs, make several and hum "Happy Birthday"!

No comments:

Post a Comment