Tuesday, September 21, 2010

ACCOMPLISHING DORMANT DREAMS

This week as summer turns towards fall and golden leaves replace fragrant roses I have begun gathering my sources to line up classes to present 'Kitchen Art' projects.  Going backward into the past to move forward with a dream.

I know it is not impossible.  One of my first classes at NYU was dedicated to  twentieth-century  authors.  At that moment I feel in love. Ever since fifth grade English and writing were always my passion, but after this class I was head-over-heels!!  We were introduced to James Joyce, William Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Truman Capote among others.  We read only a chapter of James Joyce's Ulysses, introducing us to the world of Leopold Bloom, but I promised myself one day I would read the entire novel.

And yes---thirty years later it was the first novel our book club read;  it took us nine months and we were fortunate enough to have an eighty-plus-year-old Dubliner as our host.  Ten years later our book club is still going strong and I have learned an important lesson-- even dormant dreams can be revived and accomplished!

So as I organize these classes, the going is slow since all the teachers are still setting their own schedule and class ground rules, I'll tell you more about my book.  It is an encyclopedia of sorts,  a vast amount of ideas coming from well-stocked kitchen cabinets to fill hours of fun.

Besides what's behind your cabinets another main theme is to use YOUR OWN imagination.  Just like the idea 'a baby can be just as content with pots and pans' as $200.00 toys---my book can spark your imagination.  I have over one hundred projects but you can create more. 

The first chapter is dedicated to Food Coloring.  Like I said Neon Food Coloring is now on the shelves.  Start stocking your shelves with food coloring, muffin tins, paper towels, coffee filters, tea bags, celery, red cabbage and what else? Use YOUR OWN imagination and next week we'll do some art.

And maybe join a book club or ask yours to tackle Ulysses!  A definite challenge worth exploring.

See you next time!  Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment