Saturday, September 11, 2010

THREE STEPS BACKWARD---TWO STEPS FORWARD

THREE STEPS BACKWARD---TWO STEPS FORWARD  September 11, 2010

I was born in New York City.  We moved to the North Shore of Long Island shortly after my birth but as a child I spent nearly every weekend visiting my Czechoslovakian relatives in the city.  Besides enjoying the Czech neighborhood and the delicious ethnic foods I played in Central Park, visited the Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and, of course, walked along Fifth Avenue.  After high school I moved into the city and attended and graduated from both a fashion design school and New York University.  New York City and San Francisco are my two favorite places.

I had nearly let September 11, 2001 slip my mind this year.   But once reminded I felt I had a magnet pulling me and I'm reliving everything from that time nine years ago.  To console myself today I have spoken to my friends and relatives who live in New York.   We laughed, we remembered, we celebrated life.

BUT HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO "KITCHEN ART"?  Certainly much great art is political but "KITCHEN ART" is not.  Unless that is your desire.  My book's objective is to have fun with color, fun with art on a shoestring, and fun with your family.  

The correlation is PROCRASTINATION!  I have procrastinated nearly fifteen years in taking the final step in publishing my books.  New York City still refers to the crash site as "Ground Zero," not Peace Park, or Memorial Park or whatever.  I believe we need to move forward to heal. 

Now as I prepare to revisit my two books to move forward with the most difficult aspect (in my opinion)---publishing---I am revisiting another part of my past.  After thirty-four years of constant parenting, (my first child is seventeen years older than my last), all my four children have moved on into their own successful lives.  I'll always be a parent and now a grandparent but it is different.  Its "empty nest". 

Anyway this week I revisited our local elementary school and spoke to other contacts I've made over the years so I can establish an avenue for my books.  I hope to present the projects to eager hands and perhaps have my middle-grade novel read in the classroom.  I am promoting myself and my art to create a platform to reach this final goal---publication. 

So I revisited the past, so many great memories, (every Kitchen Art project has been done by my kids and their friends) to move into the future.  And can you imagine there is now NEON food coloring!

See  you Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment